History : Triumph Aerostructures - Vought Aircraft Division
Triumph Aerostructures - Vought Aircraft Division’s heritage evolves from a world-class family tree: Grumman, Northrop, Stinson, Textron, Avco and Vought. The Vought name extends back to the military aircraft company founded by aviation pioneer, Chance Milton Vought. In 1917, with Birdseye B. Lewis, Vought organized the Lewis & Vought Corp. Among the more than 15,000 aircraft produced by Chance Vought’s legacy companies, some notable ones include the VE-7 Bluebird, the OS2U Kingfisher, the F4U Corsair, the F-8 Crusader, and the A-7 Corsair II.
Triumph Aerostructures - Vought Aircraft Division’s predecessor, Vought Aircraft Industries, was formed when Northrop Grumman sold the majority of its aerostructures business assets to The Carlyle Group in July 2000. The company expanded in 2003 with the acquisition of The Aerostructures Corporation, which included Contour Aerospace, a wholly owned subsidiary.
In June 2010, Vought was acquired by Triumph Group and was renamed Triumph Aerostructures - Vought Aircraft Division.
Site History At A Glance
Dallas-Area Facilities’ History
- The Jefferson Street plant at the Dallas Naval Air Station dates back to World War II, when North American Aviation built P-51 fighters and B-24 bombers.
- In 1948, the plant is taken over by Chance Vought Co., which two decades later becomes part of Dallas-based LTV Corp.
- The Marshall Street plant opened in Grand Prairie in 1968.
- The Red Oak facility opened in 2013.
Hawthorne Facility History
- Began building 747 fuselage sections in 1968 as part of former Northrop entity.
Milledgeville Facility History
- Operations began in 1975 under Grumman Corp. producing parts primarily for military aircraft.
Nashville Facility History
- Operations in Nashville can be traced back to 1939 when it was known as Stinson Aircraft Co. As a division of the Aviation Co., the third-largest producer of war materials during World War II, it was merged with Vultee in 1940 and merged again to form Consolidated Vultee Aircraft in 1943. In 1959, the Aviation Co. became Avco Corp. In 1966, the Nashville division was renamed Avco Aerostructures. In 1985, Avco Aerostructures became part of Textron Inc. as a result of their acquisition of Avco Corporation, and in 1987, the name changed to Textron Aerostructures. The Nashville facility was purchased in September 1996 by The Carlyle Group and renamed The Aerostructures Corp. It merged with Vought in 2003.
Stuart Facility History
- Opened in 1950 as a Grumman Corp. operation, initially used for flight test operations. Production programs for commercial and military aircraft began in 1963. In 2002, company moves production of commercial aircraft doors from Perry, Ga., to Stuart.